]]>

Wayfaring Stranger

Other Stromlund's out there?

Are there any other Stromlund's out there besides JR and I????

Hey, JR, one home school group and also our Sunday School class tried this type of website. I'm glad you found one that didn't constantly send pop-ups!

The bad news is that no one in the home school group or Sunday School group visited the website often enough to keep it up-to-date.

The Sunday School group asked me to set up an e-mail group which I did at Yahoo. The e-mail group is really working out better because everyone gets the e-mail in their in-box and generally everyone checks their e-mail every day or two. We've had lots more input from members of the e-mail loop than we did on the website.

I must admit, I'm usually in a time crunch, I check e-mail, but do little else unless its working through some computer program. So, I feel in the category of those who checked the website generally every week or two. I missed a couple of announcements about meals to class members because I hadn't kept up-to-date.

I have 3 home school e-mail groups set up at Yahoo Groups. Their ads included in e-mails now are annyoing to say the least; however, Yahoo's front page website for the e-mail group, file upload area, and especially the calendar is the best free service that I've seen. For the home school groups and the Sunday School Group, the calendar is awesome because it sends automatic reminders before the date of the event.

My largest home school group (N/W AR) is hosted at www.topica.com. We don't get ads from them ... YET.

I've also checked out several Christian e-mail hosts, one of them that was recommended, www.injesus.com, started charging a monthly fee last I checked. The Christian hosts didn't offer as many free services or as much archive space as the other well known names in the industry.

Didn't mean to be discouraging. Just sharing my past experiences ........

Thanks for your work!

Roxie


Hmmmm.... you mentioned something about "looking for script enabled free hosting". I'll have to go to the Cox website and see what services are offered through my high-speed internet connection. I've been meaning to check into "newsgroups"; somewhere I read that I could host one. I have no idea how that works and haven't taken the time to investigate. Would that relate in anyway to what you were referring to??

1 Responses to “Other Stromlund's out there?”:

  1. Thanks for reading my post and comments that follow ...
  2. Hey, thanks for the blog. I dont know if this would catch on. But as for emails, most blog software will let you automatically send emails when new posts or comments arrive. So it would be as easy as clicking on a link in that email for someone to see the information and then to comment/respond.

    I agree that a calendar of events would be nice, especially for a homeschool type setup. The nice thing is that it works in any browser (Linux or M$).

    Im not sold on being a blogger yet. But I am going to keep it up for a couple of weeks at least. You know what "they" say, do something 7 times and it becomes a habit ... we'll see. Plus I thought it might be cool to blog from a mission trip like Michael in India or my from Russia.

    See ya ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home